Points to Note When Filming Videos
Note the following points when recording videos:
- Each video can be up to 125 minutes in length.
- Each video recorded to a card with a capacity of 32 GB or less will be saved across a maximum of 8 files. Each of these files will be a maximum of 4 GB in size. The number of files and the length of each file vary with the options selected for [Frame size/frame rate].
- If [ProRes 422 HQ 10-bit (MOV)] is selected for [Video file type] in the video recording menu and the memory card has a capacity of 32 GB or less, recording will automatically end when the file reaches 4 GB in size. Videos are not recorded across multiple files.
- Depending on memory card write speed, shooting may end before the maximum length is reached.
- Video cannot be recorded to SD memory cards or to XQD memory cards with a capacity of 32 GB or less when [N‑RAW 12‑bit (NEV)] or [ProRes RAW HQ 12‑bit (MOV)] is selected for [Video file type] in the video recording menu.
- A 0 icon (0The 0 Icon) indicates that videos cannot be recorded.
- [Spot metering] is not available during video recording.
- Flash lighting (0Using an On-Camera Flash) cannot be used.
The exposure settings that can be adjusted during filming vary with the shooting mode:
|Mode||Aperture||Shutter speed||ISO sensitivity 2|
|P, S 1||—||—||— 3|
Exposure control in mode S is the same as in mode P.
The maximum ISO sensitivity for videos recorded with [ON] selected for [Electronic VR] in the video recording menu is ISO 25600.
The upper limit for ISO sensitivity can be selected using the [ISO sensitivity settings] > [Maximum sensitivity] item in the video recording menu.
If [ON] is selected for [ISO sensitivity settings] > [Auto ISO control (mode M)] in the video recording menu, the upper limit for ISO sensitivity can be selected using [Maximum sensitivity].
White balance can be adjusted during video recording by holding the U button and rotating a command dial.
In mode M, shutter speed can be set to values between ¹⁄₂₅ s and ¹⁄₃₂₀₀₀ s (the slowest available shutter speed varies with the frame rate).
If [Record videos] is selected for Custom Setting g2 [Custom controls] > [Shutter-release button], the shutter-release buttons on optional wireless remote controllers and remote cords can be pressed halfway to focus or pressed all the way down to start and end video recording.
Third-party microphones with 3.5 mm mini-jack plugs can be used to record audio for videos.
- Use [Mic jack plug-in power] in the video recording menu to choose whether the power for the external microphone is supplied by the camera (0Mic Jack Plug-in Power).