Recording HLG Video
Video recorded in Hybrid Log Gamma (HLG) format can be used for HDR broadcasting and the like. To record HLG video, select [H.265 10-bit (MOV)] for [Video file type] in the video recording menu and choose the [HLG] tone mode.
- o will appear in the shooting display.
- For optimal color reproduction when viewing HLG footage, use monitors, computers, operating systems, applications, and other equipment compatible with HLG.
- Pictures taken with [HLG] selected for tone mode may exhibit more “noise” in the form of randomly-spaced bright pixels, fog, or lines than pictures taken using [SDR] or [N-Log].
- The lowest value available for the [ISO sensitivity settings] > [Maximum sensitivity] item in the video recording menu is ISO 800.
- The lowest value available for the [ISO sensitivity settings] > [ISO sensitivity (mode M)] item in the video recording menu is ISO 400.
- ISO sensitivities of Hi 0.3 through Hi 2.0 are not available.
- Picture Control settings cannot be adjusted using the [Set Picture Control] item in the video recording menu. You can control the appearance of HLG videos using [HLG quality] in the video recording menu.
- The [Active D-Lighting] item in the video recording menu is set to [Off] and cannot be changed.
- The display in the monitor may flicker or appear grainy.
- The camera may have trouble focusing using autofocus but this does not indicate a malfunction.
Optimal color reproduction in HDR (HLG) footage output via HDMI can only be achieved if your storage device, monitor, and other equipment support HDR (HLG). If a signal is received from the connected device indicating that it supports HDR (HLG), the camera will respond with a “gamma: HLG” identifier.
When [HLG] is selected for tone mode, the shooting and playback displays in the camera monitor and viewfinder may include “noise” in the form of randomly-spaced bright pixels, fog, or lines or may fail to accurately reproduce highlights and highly-saturated colors. For accurate tone reproduction, use monitors, computers, operating systems, applications, and other equipment compatible with HLG.
HLG videos can only be viewed and edited using computer software that supports the HLG video format. Nikon’s NX Studio software shows HLG videos in the thumbnail list but cannot be used to view or edit them.