FTZ Mount Adapter User’s Manual
This mount adapter allows Nikon F mount NIKKOR lenses to be mounted on Nikon Z mount mirrorless cameras. It cannot be mounted on F mount (Nikon digital SLR) or 1 mount cameras (Nikon 1 advanced cameras with interchangeable lenses) or used with 1 NIKKOR lenses. This section is included as a mount-adapter manual for purchasers of the mount-adapter kit. Note that mount-adapter kits may not be available in some countries or regions.
Note that depending on the lens, the adapter may limit autofocus or other camera features.
Compatible F Mount Lenses
For information on lenses that can be mounted on the FTZ mount adapter for use with Z mount cameras, see Compatible F Mount Lenses, available from the Nikon Download Center:
- The Mount Adapter
- Using the Mount Adapter
- Precautions for Use
- Caring for the Adapter
The Mount Adapter
Parts of the Adapter
|1||Nikon F mount (attaches to lens)|
|2||Lens signal contacts|
|3||Lens mounting mark|
|6||Adapter mounting mark|
|7||Nikon Z mount (attaches to camera)|
Attachment and Removal
Turn the camera off before attaching the adapter to or removing it from the camera or attaching lenses to or removing lenses from the adapter. Choose a location out of direct sunlight and be careful to prevent dust from entering the devices. While attaching lenses, avoid pressing the camera or adapter lens release.
Attaching the Adapter and Lens
Remove the body and rear lens caps from the adapter and the body cap from the camera.
Attach the adapter to the camera.
Keeping the adapter mounting mark aligned with the mounting mark on the camera body (q), position the adapter on the camera and then rotate it counterclockwise until it clicks into place (w).
Remove the rear lens cap.
Attach the lens to the adapter.
Keeping the lens mounting mark aligned with the lens mounting mark on the adapter (e), position the lens on the adapter and then rotate it counterclockwise until it clicks into place (r).
Detaching the Lens and Adapter
Detach the lens.
Press and hold the adapter lens release (q) while turning the lens clockwise (w). Attach the front and rear caps to the lens after removal.
Detach the adapter.
Press and hold the camera lens release button (e) while turning the adapter clockwise (r). After removing the adapter, attach the body and rear caps to the adapter and the body cap to the camera.
CPU Lenses with Aperture Rings
Select minimum aperture (the highest f/-number) before attaching CPU lenses equipped with aperture rings.
Movies shot when a DX lens is mounted on the Z 6 and 1920 × 1080 120p, 1920 × 1080 100p, or 1920 × 1080 slow-mo is selected for Frame size/frame rate in the movie shooting menu will be recorded at the following frame sizes and rates:
- 1920 × 1080; 120p: 1920 × 1080; 60p
- 1920 × 1080; 100p: 1920 × 1080; 50p
- 1920 × 1080; 30p ×4 (slow-mo): 1920 × 1080; 30p
- 1920 × 1080; 25p ×4 (slow-mo): 1920 × 1080; 25p
- 1920 × 1080; 24p ×5 (slow-mo): 1920 × 1080; 24p
Incompatible Lenses and Accessories
The following lenses and accessories cannot be used. Attempting to forcibly attach any of this equipment could damage the adapter or the lens. Individual variation may render lenses other than those listed below incompatible; do not use force if you encounter resistance when attempting to attach a lens.
- Non-AI lenses
- TC-16A AF Teleconverter
- Lenses that require the AU-1 focusing unit (400mm f/4.5, 600mm f/5.6, 800mm f/8, 1200mm f/11)
- Fisheye (6mm f/5.6, 7.5mm f/5.6, 8mm f/8, OP 10mm f/5.6)
- 2.1cm f/4
- K2 Extension Ring
- 180–600mm f/8 ED (serial numbers 174041–174180)
- 360–1200mm f/11 ED (serial numbers 174031–174127)
- 200–600mm f/9.5 (serial numbers 280001–300490)
- AF lenses for the F3AF (AF 80mm f/2.8, AF 200mm f/3.5 ED, TC-16 AF Teleconverter)
- PC 28mm f/4 (serial number 180900 or earlier)
- PC 35mm f/2.8 (serial numbers 851001–906200)
- PC 35mm f/3.5 (old type)
- Reflex 1000mm f/6.3 (old type)
- NIKKOR-H Auto 2.8cm f/3.5 (28mm f/3.5) lenses with serial numbers below 362000
- NIKKOR-S Auto 3.5cm f/2.8 (35mm f/2.8) lenses with serial numbers below 928000
- NIKKOR-S Auto 5cm f/2 (50mm f/2)
- NIKKOR-Q Auto 13.5cm f/3.5 (135mm f/3.5) lenses with serial numbers below 753000
- Micro-NIKKOR 5.5cm f/3.5
- Medical-NIKKOR Auto 200mm f/5.6
- Auto NIKKOR Telephoto-Zoom 85–250mm f/4–4.5
- Auto NIKKOR Telephoto-Zoom 200–600mm f/9.5–10.5
Using the Mount Adapter
- Autofocus may not function as expected when the adapter is used with an F mount NIKKOR lens. If the camera has trouble focusing, set the AF-area mode to single point and select the center focus area, or focus manually.
- With some lenses, the camera vibration reduction feature may not function as expected or may cause vignetting or a drop in peripheral illumination.
Precautions for Use
- When using the adapter with lenses weighing over 1300 g (2 lb 13.9 oz), support the lens when holding the camera and do not use the camera strap. Failure to observe these precautions could damage the camera lens mount.
- When using telephoto lenses equipped with a tripod collar, attach the tripod to the lens tripod collar rather than to the adapter tripod socket.
- Keep the CPU and lens signal contacts clean.
- Keep the adapter dry. Rusting of the internal mechanism can cause irreparable damage.
- Leaving the adapter in extremely hot locations could damage or warp parts made from reinforced plastic.
Caring for the Adapter
- Do not touch the interior of the mount adapter. Use a blower or soft brush to remove dust, being careful not to rub or scratch the inside of the adapter.
- When cleaning the adapter, use a blower to remove dust and lint and then wipe the adapter gently with a soft, dry cloth.
- Never use organic solvents such as paint thinner or benzene to clean the adapter.
- If the adapter will not be used for an extended period, store it in a cool, dry location to prevent mold and rust. Do not store in direct sunlight or with naphtha or camphor moth balls.
- BF-1B Body Cap
- LF-N1 Rear Lens Cap
|Supported cameras||Nikon Z mount mirrorless cameras|
|Dimensions||Approx. 70 mm diameter (excluding projections) × 80 mm|
|Weight||Approx. 140 g (5.0 oz)|
Nikon reserves the right to change the appearance, specifications, and performance of this product at any time and without prior notice.