This section is included as a lens manual for purchasers of lens kits.
- Keep the CPU contacts clean.
- Should the rubber lens-mount gasket be damaged, cease use immediately and take the lens to a Nikon-authorized service center for repair.
- Use a blower to remove dust and lint from the lens surfaces. To remove smudges and fingerprints, apply a small amount of ethanol or lens cleaner to a soft, clean cotton cloth or lens-cleaning tissue and clean from the center outwards using a circular motion, taking care not to leave smears or touch the glass with your fingers.
- Never use organic solvents such as paint thinner or benzene to clean the lens.
- The lens hood or Neutral Color (NC) filters can be used to protect the front lens element.
- Attach the front and rear caps before placing the lens in its case.
- When a lens hood is attached, do not pick up or hold the lens or camera using only the hood.
- If the lens will not be used for an extended period, store it in a cool, dry location to prevent mold and rust. Do not store in direct sunlight or with naphtha or camphor moth balls.
- Keep the lens dry. Rusting of the internal mechanism can cause irreparable damage.
- Leaving the lens in extremely hot locations could damage or warp parts made from reinforced plastic.
A Note on Wide- and Super Wide-Angle Lenses
Autofocus may not provide the desired results in situations like those shown below.
Objects in the background occupy more of the focus point than the main subject:
If the focus point contains both foreground and background objects, the camera may focus on the background and the subject may be out of focus, particularly with wide- and super wide-angle lenses.
The subject contains many fine details.
The camera may have difficulty focusing on subjects that contain many fine details.
In these cases, use manual focus, or use focus lock to focus on another subject at the same distance and then recompose the photograph. For more information, see “Getting Good Results with Autofocus” (0 Getting Good Results with Autofocus).