The movie footage or number of shots that can be recorded with fully-charged batteries varies with the condition of the battery, temperature, interval between shots, and the length of time menus are displayed. Sample figures for EN-EL15a (1900 mAh) batteries are given below 1.
- Photographs, single-frame release mode (CIPA standard 2): Approximately 950 shots
- Photographs, continuous release mode (Nikon standard 3): Approximately 3880 shots
- Movies 4: Approximately 80 minutes of HD footage
EN-EL15b or EN-EL15 batteries can also be used in place of the EN-EL15a, but note that fewer pictures may sometimes be taken on a single charge with an EN-EL15 than with an EN-EL15b/EN-EL15a.
Measured at 23 °C/73.4 °F (±2 °C/3.6 °F) with an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18–140mm f/3.5–5.6G ED VR lens under the following test conditions: lens cycled from infinity to minimum range and one photograph taken at default settings once every 30 s; flash fired once every other shot. Live view not used.
Measured at 23 °C/73.4 °F (±2 °C/3.6 °F) with an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18–140mm f/3.5–5.6G ED VR lens under the following test conditions: image quality set to JPEG normal, image size set to L (large), shutter speed 1/250 s, shutter-release button pressed halfway for three seconds and focus cycled from infinity to minimum range three times; six shots are then taken in succession and monitor turned on for five seconds and then turned off; cycle repeated once standby timer expires.
Measured at 23 °C/73.4 °F (±2 °C/3.6 °F) with the camera at default settings and an AF-S DX NIKKOR 18–140mm f/3.5–5.6G ED VR lens under conditions specified by the Camera and Imaging Products Association (CIPA). Individual movies are composed of one or more files, each up to 4 GB in size, and can total up to 29 minutes 59 seconds in length; recording may end before these limits are reached if the camera temperature rises.
The following can reduce battery life:
- Using the monitor
- Keeping the shutter-release button pressed halfway
- Repeated autofocus operations
- Taking NEF (RAW) photographs
- Slow shutter speeds
- Using camera Wi-Fi (wireless LAN) and Bluetooth features
- Using the camera with optional accessories connected
- Using VR (vibration reduction) mode with VR lenses
- Repeatedly zooming in and out with an AF-P lens.
To ensure that you get the most from Nikon EN-EL15a rechargeable Li-ion batteries:
- Keep the battery contacts clean. Soiled contacts can reduce battery performance.
- Use batteries immediately after charging. Batteries will lose their charge if left unused.